Re: How many records in a table can run good ?

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10junk_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 09:08:46 -0700

South,

    in order for rows to come back fast, when you have a large table, as is your case, you need to have the proper indexes, usually (unless you retrieve a big portion, say more than 25%, of the rows). You need to define your indexes according to the fields used in the WHERE clauses of the SELECT statements (chapter 10 of http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/toc.htm explains this in more details). Secondly, don't partition ("fragment") your table in different databases, as this would greatly reduce performance due to increased network traffic. Instead, think of using "partitions" (read chapter 11 of
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/toc.htm for more details). Let us know if you have some specific questions/issues.

Daniel