Storing GUIDs in Oracle

From: Jeff Boenig <jeff.boenig_at_elsitech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:55:46 -0400

I'm developing a .NET application that will support both MS SQL Server and Oracle 9i and above. I want to use GUIDs as the primary key in several tables. MS SQL supports this nicely using the UNIQUEIDENTIFIER data type. The ADO.NET OleDb data provider automatically converts it to a System.Guid.

Is it possible to store GUIDs in Oracle databases? There doesn't appear to be a GUID data type in Oracle 9i. Could I store it as RAW(16)? If I do, would I be able to create an index on that column? Does Oracle 10i have support for GUID?

Thanks.

Jeff Boenig
Elsinore Technologies, Inc.
http://www.elsitech.com Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 08:55:46 CDT