Re: Upgrade to big SUN box or RAC for data warehouse?

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:27:51 -0500

--

> > Take a look at TeraData product from NCR.
> >
> > RAC may provide small increases in performance. If you need huge
increases
> > then you likely need a diferent solution. We are currently an Oracle
shop,
> > but are investigating TeraData for 1 specific problem.
> >

> Thanks for the responses. I probably should have been more detailed.
>
> 1. The box we have is apparently going out of service which is a
> driver
> 2. We need to go to 9i for audit purposes
> 3. While the load is exceeding SLA's there are some queries which are
> taking longer than we want.
>
> As I said the load times I think are related to IO - traffic from the
> 10K box IO subsystem to the NAS (GBE) is probably a limiting factor.
Just one opinion ... but I would go with the 12K and get rid of NAS and go with local or SAN disks systems. You are probably going to see improvement just from the disk change, but you mentioned the current box going out of service. I would just go with the 12K . I guess I am just not convinced RAC is that great, yet. Sure, it is light years ahead of its previous version "Parallel Server". But, if I were in your position, I would like to have been running a test system for a year or 2 with RAC before considering a production system change to RAC. Or , maybe get experience with RAC on a less critical database.