Re: anyone use BEA WebLogic or IBM Websphere against an Oracle database?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:03:51 -0400

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:MPG.198754b650a04e959897fa_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net...
> Hi koert54, thanks for writing this:
> > >9iAS is a hodge-podge of Oracle
> > > and 3rd party stuff thrown together on a couple of CDs (and up to the
> > > customer to sort thru and make it all work together).
> >
> > Amen to that ! Unfortunately Oracle forces you to use and install all
that
> > crap if you want
> > to evolve to Forms and reports 9i ...
> >

> It's good to know I'm not alone in my opinion. However, I tend to think
> you are being very "polite" to term it "evolving" to Forms and Reports.
>
> Even though the customer who demanded an oracle reports interface moved
> to another provider for "political" reasons, I breathed a very big,
> technical sigh of relief. Putting 9iAS on the shelf forever was the best
> decision our company ever made.
>
> I have enough problems to deal with without adding additional headaches.
> Just got a brochure from Oracle in the mail: "With Oracle's new offer
> for BEA users, you can move your Java applications to the lower-cost
> Oracle9i Application Server and slash your wrists." [Actually it says
> "slash your IT budget," but if my company bought back into that...]
>
> 9iAS is great for those who love to tinker ... spending countless hours
> trying to make all the disjointed pieces talk to each other. As for me,
> I have better things to do with my evenings and weekends. No thank you,
> I'll stick with BEA.
> --
> [:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]

ive run 9i forms(not in production) with just apache and OC4J? When do you need 9iAS to use it?
Im not certain what additional functionality these webservers give over Apache?

How different are the 3 to learn? Seems like WebLogic and Websphere dominate the market so I think those skills are better to pick up than 9iAS. Not sure though. Are corp concepts the same? Or is it as different as Oracle and SQL Server? Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 21:03:51 CDT