Re: DIFFERENTIAL BACKUP QUESTION

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:21:49 GMT

Hi Javier Villegas, thanks for writing this:
> Hi
>
> Which is the best way to do a full backup and then differentials ones. ?
>
> How can I restore it ?
>
> And the easy way ?
>
> Thanks

With an open-ended question like that, I don't know what you expect to get for an answer. If you are running Oracle 5, you shut down the database and upgrade. Oh, you're not running v5? You didn't say ... and you didn't give any indication of the size of your database ... nor how active it is (with respect to inserts or updates).

But without any details, and assuming you're running a relatively recent version of Oracle, I'd suggest you get acquainted with the RMAN manual. It's by far, IMHO, the "easiest" way to backup or recover your database (restoring depends on whether you backup to disk or tape or CD or whatever).

Perhaps you could provide a few more details. Are you looking for which tool is best? What commands to use to accomplish a backup / restore / recover? A definition of full and incremental / cumulative differential? Whether to do open / closed backup? What files do you need to backup? I am somewhat at a loss to answer without those details.

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]