Re: Oracle 8i and AIX 5 compatibility issue

From: koert54 <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:05:48 GMT

> 1) Oracle 8.1.7 and Java 1.1.8 (bundled in Oracle).
>
> Apllication runs ok except 1 important thing. It gives the
> following error:
>
> java.lang.NoSuchMethod: java.lang.system: method setProperty

You could use the setProperties method - this would mean creating a Properties instance which is a subclass of Hashtable : example
Properties p = new Properties() ;
p.add("PATH", "/tmp") ;
p.add("OTHER_PROP", new Integer(1)) ;
System.setProperties(p) ;

> 2) Java 1.2.2 or Java 1.3.1, it doesnīt matter what Oracle version,
> apparently the application canīt get data from the database.

A wild guess but I had it before on AIX - something must be wrong with your JDBC driver !
Some pointers :
1. Make sure the right zip or jar file containting the jdbc api is in your classpath (not sure but for
jdk 1.2 or higher it should be $OH/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip or jar and not classes111.*)
2. Try downloading the latest jdbc driver from otn.oracle.com 3. If your class files are compiled using a 1.1.x compiler, try recompiling with 1.2 or 1.3 (should
matter, but doesn't hurt)
4. if you currently use the jdbc thick driver (oci) - modify your code to use the jdbc thin driver
(there's sample code in $OH/jdbc/demo.jar -> jar -xvf demo.jar) I know there's a note on metalink that the 1.2 jdbc OCI driver has problems on AIX - but that was
on 4.3.3/8i - I'm a 100% sure the thin driver works as I ran into that problem myself and had to rewrite
my connectivity code.

more info on setProperties :

JDK 1.1.x :

public static void setProperties(Properties props)

  Sets the system properties to the Properties argument.   First, if there is a security manager, its checkPropertiesAccess method is called with no arguments. This may result in a security exception.

  The argument becomes the current set of system properties for use by the getProperty method. If the argument is null, then the current set of system properties is forgotten.

    Parameters:
    props - the new system properties.
    Throws: SecurityException
    if the current thread cannot set the system properties.     See Also:
    SecurityException, checkPropertiesAccess jdk 1.2.x
setProperty
public static String setProperty(String key,

                                 String value)
  Sets the system property indicated by the specified key.   First, if a security manager exists, its SecurityManager.checkPermission method is called with a PropertyPermission(key, "write") permission. This may result in a SecurityException being thrown. If no exception is thrown, the specified property is set to the given value.

    Parameters:
    key - the name of the system property.     value - the value of the system property.     Returns:
    the previous value of the system property, or null if it did not have one.

    Throws:
    SecurityException - if a security manager exists and its checkPermission method doesn't allow setting of the specified property.

    NullPointerException - if key is null.     IllegalArgumentException - if key is empty.     Since:
    1.2
    See Also:
    getProperty(java.lang.String), getProperty(java.lang.String), getProperty(java.lang.String, java.lang.String), PropertyPermission, SecurityManager.checkPermission(java.security.Permission)