Re: Need SQL Server Temp Table equivalent (challenge!)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 22 Jul 2003 14:48:25 -0500

On 17 Jul 2003, kin_ng5_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I studied the pipelined function and table function and found
> that each required a **pre-defined" type for the return. The
> key for my need is variable columns, not pre-defined.
>
> e.g. I want to return 2 columns by doing this:
>
> Select * from MyView

How does a view point to a temporary table? It seems that in SQLServer you would need a stored procedure to accomplish what you are doing here.

You could do the same thing with cursor processing in Oracle. It doesn't seem that the temporary table buys you much of anything because you still need to do cursor processing?

Maybe I'm missing something? Does SQLServer allow a view to represent the execution of a stored procedure? Oracle doesn't allow this, but it does allow a function to be executed which might mimic a view.

It seems that the "view representing a stored proc" might be the more lacking feature. I've never needed a temporary table since I left Sybase for Oracle and I used to be a temporary table bigot.

--
Galen Boyer