Use of ROWNUM?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 22 Jul 2003 10:11:33 -0700

I have bee using the ROWNUM constraint for a long time in its inequality form:

 SELECT somefield FROM mytable WHERE ROWNUM <= 100;

This type of SELECT is very useful at development time, to reduce the amount of data returned. However, I was wondering whether I can use the ROWNUM in order to retrieve one specific record (suppose your data is kind of uninteresting in the first rows and you would like to take a look at, say record 100). It would be logical to use a statement like this:

  SELECT somefield FROM mytable WHERE ROWNUM = 100;

But the equality form above only seems to work for ROWNUM=1.

What I am looking for is something equivalent to awk's NR:

      awk 'NR==100 {print $0}'

Thanks for your comments...

-Ramon F. Herrera Received on Tue Jul 22 2003 - 12:11:33 CDT