Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:44:24 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > > <snipped
> > >
> > > I don't buy that this is where data *storage* is going. If it is check
> out
> > > cache and other ODBMS.
> > >
> > > <snipped>
> >
> > It is. Look at how Oracle has implemented XML shredding and what they are
> doing
> > with the Oracle Apps.
>
> I know that Oracle is well and truly on the XML/Web services bandwagon, and
> looks like its going to jump on the Grid bandwagon next. What I mean though
> is how many apps out there will store 'objects' rather than relational data.
> I don't see it. Just because you can do something doesn't mean people will.
> How many clustered tables or iots are out there, outside of the Oracle
> supplied schemas?
>
> Actually I still think if this is where we are going then people should look
> closely at products like cache http://www.intersystems.com/
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK

Not many ... yet. But I think that when the other tool vendors, report writers, CASE tools, etc. provide support it will follow.

Yesterday, at a local telecom nested object tables would have been the perfect solution had the tool to query them for reporting been available. The fall-back was not nearly as elegant nor as clean.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu