Re: [PL/SQL] Distributed transaction

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:27:52 GMT

> 1. What happens if connection between computers is broken??? Does
> function 'ONE' receives exception ??

If the network connection is severed, your function will receive an exception. You can handle this quite nicely in your PL/SQL block.

> How can I force
> distributed transaction to rollback changes on computer B if the
> connection is broken.

Distributed transactions follow the Two Phase Commit protocol. In essence, either both the local and the remote transaction commit or none commits. You can't have it commit on server A but not B, or vice versa. So if the network connection is severed, this will force a rollback on server B as well.

The Oracle docs on distributed transactions does a nice job of explaining this.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com