Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:28:37 +1000

"JEDIDIAH" <jedithezealot_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5121813f.0307212050.cfb4c_at_posting.google.com...

> > Hmmmm, I'll need to digest this one. You implying that we're
> > going the way of the "super-mainframe" made of lots of little
> > processing nodes? The Sun mantra: the network is the computer?
> > Are we there yet? I don't think so: RAC is not the solution
> > and blades technology is nowhere near that.
>
> Actually, RAC seems to be coming along rather nicely. It seems
> like the claims about transparent allocation and de-allocation of
> nodes and storage are total propaganda. However, Oracle seems to
> scale better across multiple machines with lesser CPU's and SGA's
> rather than one big mainframe style monster.

Sorry, let me clarify something here: I don't doubt for a second RAC is coming along quite nicely. What I said is that it is not the appropriate solution for the Sun "network is the computer" paradigm/metaphore/insert-whatever-the-flavour-is-now. Not saying that it doesn't work.

> In this respect, 10G is actually the polar opposite of mainframes.

I thought so.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto