Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:29:45 +0100

> > If I am allowed to hazard a guess, the number 1 skill required of
> > DBAs/designers etc is performance tuning.
>
> Disagree. Of DBA's, sure. Of designers? Once again we're confusing
> the two jobs. They are far from the same. In the past that may have
> been the case in the ORacle arena. Nowadays, most emphatically no.

Fair point, I was definitely coming from the DBA tack.

> What impact this will have on IT as we know it I don't know,
> but one thing seems certain from recent market evolution:
> the traditional skills of the DBA and programmer are less
> and less in demand. To be replaced by other new skills.

I agree, in say 5 years time we will probably have sql as an OS service, certainly from MS, possibly from the Open Source crew as well, and performance will be 'good enough' for most current customers. If one takes however the view that DBAs and to some extent developers tend to be adept problem solvers with complex and esoteric systems, the new web based, n-tier, OO world should provide a fair few openings :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA