Re: ORA-00600 with large dataset and .net OracleClient

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:04:40 +0200

On 21 Jul 2003 10:55:40 -0700, ian_cox2000_at_hotmail.com (Ian Cox) wrote:

>Hello.
>I have a problem where I am calling a remote database and receiving
>back a relatively large amount of data. I am using the .net
>OracleClient and calling a stored procedure which is sitting on a
>database in California (I am in UK). After a pretty long wait 10-15
>mins (I think) it returns with the error "ORA-00600 Internal error".
>The process works on a much smaller dataset so I know the code works
>in that sense.
>My DB colleague thinks it is probably a timeout problem and asked me
>to increase the timeout at my end to a much larger value. However,
>there doesn't seem to be anyway to specify a timeout when using the
>.net OracleClient and also if I am getting an Oracle specific error
>that would imply to me that the error was at the Oracle end and not
>the .NET end.
>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Ian

The timeout scenario is highly improbable, due to the layered nature of the datatransport. So far in 14 years I have never seen a datacommunication problem resulted in an ora-600 error. Timeouts would have been trapped on a lowe level. If you are using sqlnet.ora, you could enable tracing (I posted that numerous times, and it is documented in the net8 manual), to check whether you are still receiving data during the 10-15 minutes interval. I bet you are.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 23:04:40 CDT