Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:19:18 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F1ACFEA.671DCEF9_at_exxesolutions.com...
> A friend of mine at Oracle tells me that those that can't make the
paradigm shift
> from columns and rows to types and objects won't be employable in the
future. I
> believe him. I think those that can't make the shift between the current
data center
> paradigm and one far more closely resembling the mainframe are also soon
to be
> obsolecent.

I suspect that that conversation might have had developers/<pause to clear throat>architects</pause> in mind. ISTM fairly clear that from a programming perspective OO, classes and inheritance etc is the way we are going (and don't forget this started what 10 years ago with C++). this is what the middle tier and thick clients will look like, in fact already do look like. I don't buy that this is where data *storage* is going. If it is check out cache and other ODBMS.

> Basically what I see, with RAC, N+1, grid, etc. is a recreation of the
mainframe
> from individual components. How else to compete with IBM and Hitachi? How
else to
> leverage investments that, for-the-most-part, sit idle.

If I am allowed to hazard a guess, the number 1 skill required of DBAs/designers etc is performance tuning. This doesn't sit well with all this idle capacity. I'm afraid I suspect that most capacity is idle when its not needed, but at crunch time it strains. shipping processing around the network in a load balanced,transparent manner without causing more problems than it introduces? well it might happen. I'm not holding my breath.

Where this datafarms made of cheap kit running commodity software does make sense is the asp market. That to me still needs work. Oracle apps/SAP/amazon etc etc run their business on this stuff - farming it out to a commodity facility with no bespokes and no control, aint gonna happen.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA