Deadlock on overflow segment !? (for experts)

From: Andras Kovacs <andkovacs_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2003 05:14:30 -0700

Hi,

I am having a curious issue with an Index oraganized PARTITIONED table. There is a single application that inserts data into this table on regular basis (every 5 min). Then sometimes we are getting error with the following indication:

ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object USER.SYS_IOT_OVER_6840. I have no control over overflow segments. I read several articles on deadlocks but none of them handle IOT table deadlock issues. The problem is difficult to reproduce but happens 2-3 times a day and causes major problem in our system.

Is there a way to fine tune some table parameters avoid this situation ?

The table doesn't have much attributs, I could put all of them into the index. (Though read performance could take a hit).

I heared that there is a deadlock issue when IOT is partitioned. Is there an article on this ? Received on Mon Jul 21 2003 - 07:14:30 CDT