Re: Tunning Indexes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 20 Jul 2003 10:09:13 -0700

"Javier Villegas" <mask_at_impsat1.com.ar> wrote

> I have tables that have a couple of indexes
> The table are growing

Which is a natural evolution for many tables.

> I donīt know how can I improve the performance on the indexes (Defrag ,
> rebuild, etc)
>
> Could you tell me how can I do that ?

Why? What problem have you identified that requires index to be rebuild to increase performance?

Don't throw rock into the bushes in the dark in an attempt to score a hit wrt to performance. The system may just throw a boulder back (like when you're re-creating the index with your own SQL and get some critical storage parameter wrong).

Instead of guessing, I suggest that you look at the system and *indentify* the problem first. And then try to fix it.

Approaching performance tuning like you're playing the lotto is.. well pretty idiotic in my opinion.

--
Billy