Re: What is Oracle10G?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:31:47 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3F19B579.BEB45121_at_exxesolutions.com...

> I am working with 10i(G) and liking it. Which is about all the NDA will allow
> me to say.

Say no more! ;)

> It is going to be a fun ride for those who buy a ticket. Townsend and his crew
> are likely going to have a lot of fun soon. We will too.

Look, I have no doubts that this grid computing thing is the next buzzword. The darn thing is gonna be rammed down our collective throats for the next coupla years. And we'll hear all sorts of theories on how it's gonna take over the world, how everything else is "gone", yadda yadda. Hope so, because the previous "paradigm shifts" were nothing short of disasters.

Funny thing is when this was called distributed data processing nobody made a peep... The more this industry re-invents itself, the more I have to yawn, quite frankly. There is not a single IT "concept" in the last 15 years that is not some form of badge engineering or re-hash of older technologies. Nothing really new, apart from the widespread use of the Internet. And that isn't even a technology...

Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to the "G" jokes, have already heard a few in other fora. Oh yeah, I forgot all the forthcoming books written by long time grid experts at TUSC and Burleson's. That will happen too very soon, and will be fun to read.

I wonder: will Oracle now create a "Grid-Masters" certification? Can't you folks in Academia do something about this? I'm getting fed-up with all these "re-certifications of the certification" going on. About time a proper tertiary syllabus is created so the industry doesn't have to put up with this manufacturer's joke. It's not like there isn't enough theoretical material on data management and database technology!

Our DBA is still concerned about getting 8i certification. Told her a number of times no one cares, but what the heck: she's young and well paid, she can afford it! Meanwhile, the heaps out there still in V7 and 8.0 will keep trodding along. Ah well, where was that 9ir2 copy again in my notebook? Gotta take the cobwebs off that one, time to use it. ;)

PS: Microsoft out of the picture? Yeah right! Wait until Steve Balmer pops out WinGrid. Or better yet, .GRID!

:D

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto