generic connectivity ms-sql

From: Rainer Hahnekamp <rainer.hahnekamp_at_aon.at>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 01:57:17 +0200

Hello everybody,

following situation: I have an installed Oracle 9i and SQL Server 2K on only one machine (test purpose). Both are installed with default options. I want to create a database link in Oracle to a database called MKS at the SQL Server.
Therefore I installed the Heterogeneous Service Data Directory according to the documentation and set up the files tnsnames.ora, initMKS.ora and listener.ora:

tnsnames.ora
MKS = (Description =
(address = (protocol=tcp) (host=localhost) (port=1521))
(connect_data = (sid=MKS))(HS=ok))

listener.ora
LISTENER =
(ADDRESS_LIST=
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=localhost)(PORT=1521))
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=PNPKEY))

)
sid_list_listener=
(sid_list =

  (sid_desc =
  (program=hsolesql) (sid_name=MKS)
  (oracle_home=c:\oracle\ora92)

 )
)

initMKS.ora
HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = "UDLFILE=c:\oracle\ora92\hs\admin\mks.udl" HS_FDS_TRACE_LEVEL = <trace_level>

mks.udl has been tested and seems to be correct. After executing "create database link mks using 'MKS';" and "select * from Picks_at_mks;" I got the following error:
ORA-12154: TNS. Service Name could not be resolved (translated from german)

As you propably can see I am a complete newbie to Oracle and have nearly no experience but please help me.

Greetings,
-Rainer Hahnekamp Received on Sat Jul 19 2003 - 18:57:17 CDT