Re: database backup

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:20:14 +1000

"dagnu" <dagnu_at_ifrance.com> wrote in message news:50de3b68.0307180619.5b43ff03_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm not DBA, so i've got problem:
> I'd like to move my database to an other server (Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris
> 8); my database had dbf files on 2 partitions ...
>
> I've used this command: exp system/manager file=export.dmp full=y
> log=/log.txt
> But when i do the import, i retrieve dbf files only from the first
> partition :( (where there are the log, control files, etc ...)
>
> So, what is the best way to migrate a database !! export, import or
> copy files ?!
>
> Thanks to all (my question is not easy to answer !!)

I'm quite sure I am being over-simplistic, but what's wrong with shutting down the database on system A, copying the whole she-bang to system B and starting it up there? They are both systems 8.1.7 and Solaris 8, aren't they? You know you also have to copy the software, don't you?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto