Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:53:13 +1000

"Keith" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:vhg6kemtih5s6d_at_news.supernews.com...

> from what Stonebraker left. Comparing todays PGSQL to Ingres, 25 years
> ago, is daft.

25 years ago? Now I see where you got your problems from...

> Last time I checked.. PGSQL was working well for the last 2 1/2 years
> without failure. BASIC PLUMBING must be working. LOL

Turn off the power half way through an update and watch what happens to your data consistency. Ah, that's right: that's a minor detail for the likes of you. What's important is the "good design"...

> >>Relational Data Management came from an
> >>academic and researcher, E.F. Codd.
> >

> > Listen, idiot: I said DATA MANAGEMENT, not Relational Data Management.
> > there is no such thing as the later. Can you JUST FOR ONCE make an
> > effort to understand what is being said?
> >

> If you read the above statement clearly you would have understood that
> the RDBMS statement was giving an example of enduring designs from
> research oriented/academic people. Why are you mixing DATA MANAGEMENT
> with this? You are the one condemning academics. Perhaps you are the IDIOT?

Up there, very clearly, it is written BY YOU: "Relational Data Management".
Now, you claim you wrote RDBMS. I am NOT "mixing" data management, I STARTED with it! It's much more important than your "design" ideas. Read the whole thread again, moron!

> > Just like all the IBM mob, Ingres and DEC. What else is new?
>
> Considering the paper came from an IBM researcher, paid by IBM, I can
> hardly think that they ripped it off.

Who is "they"? Ingres and DEC? Can you read a phrase of more than three words? As for IBM: the paper from Codd was done while he was in their employment. His development of the research into a usable theory happened long after he'd left. IBM ripped him off like all the others. No secret to anyone: Ted Codd himself openly referred to how he was the only one who never made any $$$ out of his work.
IBM is as guilty of rip-off as any other.

> Not to the extent that Oracle is, in my opinion.

Your opinion is just that.

> There is capitalism and
> there are perverse examples of it. The latter, like Enron, usually wind
> up falling on their swords.

Oh, grow up! Look at what IBM has done all their existence and then come back here with your "morals"!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto