Re: Real reason for Oracle/Orbitz problem?

From: Quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:59:44 +1000

On 17 Jul 2003 17:59:57 -0700, Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
>
>> Microsoft had a huge security hole exposed today that affects all of
>> their O/S offerings. I don't see panic in the streets on that and it
>> affects every Windows machine on the planet.
>
> Panic? No, not really. But it took me *three hours* to download
> the 800Kb patch off their site. In typical stupid M$ manner, instead of
> making it a single download that can be installed multiple times, they
> included it in their moronic "web-update".
>
> This means if you have three computers at home, you gotta download
> it three times and install on each. Multiply that by a few million
> users out there and it adds up...

Not really. Use the web update to find out what updates you need.

Then click the link 'Personalise Windows Update'.

Then click to put a link to 'Windows Update Catalog' on that page.

Click that, and you'll be able to download the updates as disk files, for installation onto as many PCs as you need.

The functionality's been there since day 1.

Sometimes, it's not the tool that's at fault, but the way they're used.

~QM