Re: How best to move oracle9 db and binaries between similiar unix servers?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 14:59:39 -0700

ianm2_at_shaw.ca (Ian) wrote in message news:<23b28adc.0307100941.26b310f5_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi - we need to move a 9.2.0.3 database from one AIX server to
> another. Both servers have similiar hardware and are at the same O/S
> level (AIX4.3.3).
>
> Our change window is short so ideally we would simply like to tarball
> $ORACLE_BASE on Server A and untar on server B.

Check your man tar and be sure you are using a version that handles links the way you think they should.

Be sure you have exactly the same users and groups (they need to resolve the same numerically - if you do an ls -l and see numbers instead of names, you goofed).

Be sure your compilers and paths to access them are exactly the same.

Be sure you understand limitations of SGA and kernel configuration for what you wind up with.

How similar is similar?

I'm not so sure I understand why the window is important - why not use the installer before the window?

> Does anyone have experience with this approach? Is this method
> supported? And is there any documentation available specifically
> describing the files and directories the rdbms accesses outside of
> $ORACLE_BASE such as the ones in /etc/ and /usr/local/ .

Install Guide, I believe.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.