Re: ORACLE RAC CRASHES ORBITZ

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:48:39 -0700

Obnoxious the troll wrote:

> http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,83186,00.html
>
> Larry use to say about DB2 architecture: shared nothing, runs nothing.
>
> What about Oracle's RAC architecture: shared everything, crashes everything.

Does every crash of an Informix application become a cause celebre' for Oracle, Microsoft, and Sybase to trash Informix?

Your posting, and other like it, remind me of the following:

"... That struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing."

There are more than a few thousand possible causes of what happed. And many companies with far larger sites than Orbitz have had no problems. So you might not be so fast to criticize when you know nothing of what actually happened, or why. There are a lot of layers at Orbitz between the customer and the silicon: Oracle was but one. And there were a lot of Orbitz employees that had their fingers and thumbs in the soup.

This is not a time for glee. The next well-publicized disaster may well with DB2 or Informix and you may find yourself looking into the mirror.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu