Re: What "Oracle sessions" mean?

From: Anurag Varma <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:47:01 GMT

"Stephanie" <sbarre_at_email.com> wrote in message news:41eb9d22.0307170451.5b7576df_at_posting.google.com...
> Thanks a lot for your help. In answer to some questions:
> -We don't have a DBA so I cannot ask him questions! :-(
> -We have a dedicated server
> -The code is closing the connections gracefully, but due to complex
> business rules, some queries are heavy (max, min, rownum, group
> by,..).
> -Here is the result of v$resource_limit in a normal server use (some
> users)
>
> RESOURCE_NAME CURRENT_UT MAX_UTILIZ INITIAL_AL
> LIMIT_VALU
> ------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ----------
> ----------
> processes 74 75 500
> 500
> sessions 74 77 555
> 555
> enqueue_locks 13 18 6770
> 6770
> enqueue_resources 13 21 2660
> 2660
> _lm_procs 0 0 0
> 0
> lm_ress 0 0 0
> UNLIMITED
> lm_locks 0 0 0
> UNLIMITED
> lm_cache_ress 0 0 0
> UNLIMITED
> dml_locks 0 6 2440
> 2440
> temporary_table_locks 0 0 UNLIMITED
> UNLIMITED
> transactions 0 4 610
> 610
> sort_segment_locks 0 5 UNLIMITED
> UNLIMITED
> max_rollback_segments 8 8 123
> 123
> distributed_transactions 0 0 10
> 10
> mts_max_servers 0 0 20
> 20
> parallel_max_servers 0 0 0
> 0
> 16 rows selected.
>
> I guess I should execute also this query when the scalability problem
> occurs (maybe with 100 users), to compare the two results.
> But the maximum values of 500 "processes" and 555 "sessions" look fine
> and normal, so I don't think my problem is Oracle configuration.
>
> Stéphanie

Yes .. the sessions parameter looks fine. And as you can see sessions = 1.1 * processes.
Keep a check on this view since it tells you max_utilization. If max_utilization reaches limit_value
then you can guess that users were not able to log on.

Also, get a DBA :) I am working on damage control nowadays for a team that had no DBA ...
the database looks like a scene from terminator 3.

Anurag Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 09:47:01 CDT