Re: oracle 9i memory problem

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:52:05 -0700

tobias_at_quova.com (johndoe) wrote in message news:<10410bd.0307171739.6e710d87_at_posting.google.com>...
> We are migrating from Oracle 8.1.7 to Oracle 9.2.0.3.
>
> Import of data etc went fine without any problems.
> Now i am testing applications that run on the DB.
>
> One application scrolls through a table with 14 million rows via a
> cursor.
> This never represented an issue with 8.1.7, however, on 9.2.0.3 the
> oracle process on the server just keeps growing and growing >3GB.
>
> It will grow until it cant allocate anymore memory and the instance
> hangs.
>
> I am using pga auto allocation set to 300MB.
> the servers total memory is 4GB, the SGA is connfigured to 2GB total.
>
> I have tried setting pga allocation to manual and 250kB per session,
> which did not resolve the problem.

Please stop symptom fighting and fix your application. The SGA shouldn't exceed one third of physical RAM. The pga, which you set to 300 Mb, is located on the server. So, why are you still surprised it doesn't work. Looking at your excessive buffer cache, shared pool, large pool and java pool, the conclusion is you have resolved all your performance problems using the Niemic method: crank up the cache until you reach 95 percent hit ratio.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 02:52:05 CDT