Re: 9i DB + 9iAS + 9iFS Single Machine Install

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:47:08 GMT

"%=zerointeractive.it%" wrote:

> I want to install Oracle9i database, Oracle9i Application Server and
> Oracle9iFS on one, single, Windows2000pro computer.
> I have all the hardware and network requirements the stuff needs.

Clarification - the "internet File System" has been split into two technologies: the CM-sDK (content management software development kit) and Oracle Files, which is a specific implementation based on the samples that were previously known as the iFS.

If you are truly looking to use Oracle's Files, you might want to consider dumping the explicit stack you identified and switching to Oracle's Collaboration Suite (OCS). For [at least] the following reasons:

  1. It's [potentially] a lot less expensive
  2. It's pre-integrated
  3. The install works
  4. The package, when purchased, comes with a 'One Box Install' DVD
  5. The install is well documented
  6. Did I mention it's [potentially] a lot less expensive

The "One Box Install" might be what you need to install on one box. However, it does not let you avoid reading the installation document.

Even if you don't use OCS, you might want to read it's install manual to answer your question.

Although the documentation does explicitly suggest that this install method might be best reserved for eval purposes only as it is usually underpowered. So I hope your single Windows2000pro computer has several CPUs and several GB RAM. (Or potentially you might consider switching to Linux and cutting your intrinsic graphics-related overhead significantly. This should allow less CPU for the same performance.) Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 21:47:08 CDT