Re: Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Orville <hawaiian_at_bacon.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 00:27:51 GMT

Truth in advertising.

Postgresql.

    The free database for the business whose data is worth     even less.

Customer testimonials:

    "100% of the data was gone!"

Support and service:

    This is the only article in this thread

The full story here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=a8uqet%241vr7%241%40jupiter.hub.org

Subject: database crash w/missing data [urgent] This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: comp.databases.postgresql.general Date: 2002-04-09 06:31:17 PST

Hello,
Yesterday I had a crash that cost me a week's worth of data. Please not this may not be the fault of postmaster, but I'm still in a bad way. We had some network problems and had to reboot the computer, using /sbin/reboot. When the computer started up and we ran the postmaster startup script, all of our databases were acting funny.

100% of the data was gone! From the shell if you went select * from company, postgres reports 0 tuples! (but returns the schema). The funny thing was, if you went \d company, I would get the message 'relation company does not exist'. Also, \d would not list the relations. This was true for all the relations for all the databases.

Please not I was running fsync off for this database.

Because this database was running our customer management system, I had no choice but to restore from backup.

Is there any possibility of restoring the missing data? Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 19:27:51 CDT