Re: Log switch after 3-second timout: what is it about ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:10:05 +0200

On 17 Jul 2003 06:05:25 -0700, spendius_at_muchomail.com (Spendius) wrote:

>Hi (again),
>I forgot this question in one of my recent mails: in
>the course book Enterprise DBA Part 1A: Arch. & Admin.
>you can read at page 7-6 (chapter Maintaining Redo Log
>Files, § regarding the flushing of buffer redo entries
>to redo log files):
>> The Oracle server sequentially records all changes made
>> to the DB in the redo log buffer. The redo log buffer
>> is used in a circular manner. The redo entries are
>> written to one of the online redo log groups called the
>> *current* online redo log group by the LGWR process under
>> the following situations:
>> o when a transacdtion commits
>> o when the redo log buffer becomes 1/3 full
>> o when there is more than a megabyte of changed records
>> in the redo log buffer
>> o when a timout occurs (every three seconds)
>> o before the DBWn writes modified bolocks in the DB buffer
>> cache to the data files
>
>What is this "timeout" they talk about ? Does it have anything to
>do with the value at which you can set the LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT ?
>I don't think so, so: is there a way to set it and manage it ? Or
>will it ALWAYS be 3 seconds, whatever your configuration and the
>way you've created your DB ?
>
>Thanks...
>Spendius

1 a period of 3 seconds of inactivity by the LGWR process 2 no
3 no
4 It is hardcoded in the Oracle kernel.

You don't plan to rehease all of the manual in this group in this fashion do you. We just survived a moron who asked similar very obvious questions

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 13:10:05 CDT