Re: Orbitz blames Oracle for site outage

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 11:09:15 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3f1683bc$0$15041$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> "Keith" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Can any complex system crafted by fallable humans, eg. Oracle RDBMS,
> > Boeing 747 etc, be with certainty be called "unbreakable?" When Oracle
> > says that it is "unbreakable", does it mean it will never crash or be
> > "cracked" by hackers?
>
> I think you will find that you are preaching to the converted here. I think
> that you wll find that the vast majority of Oracle professionals care little
> or nothing for marketing, in the same way that most IT professionals working
> with open source software (including those at Orbitz, since it runs on
> linux, no doubt) recognize that Open Source is neither free nor the solution
> to all the world's ills even if its advocates claim both.

A quick altavista found a techweb reference to "ditched its Sun servers for 750 Linux-on-Intel Compaq servers".

Now, if the whole site went down, I doubt all those servers went down (of course, there is no upper bound to stupidity, maybe they all are plugged into regular wall sockets!). More likely, some box(es) was running some webserver cacheing and something screwed up. Anyone care to speculate?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.mhs101.pulski.k12.il.us/page4a.htm