Re: tracking changes on a table through ODBC application

From: Steve Howard <stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 08:45:44 -0700

db_guy_2002_at_yahoo.com (db dude) wrote in message news:<f4a8da28.0307161718.395202f7_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a table in which users are inserting records almost all the
> time. I need to write an ODBC based application program that would
> allow me to see what data is being inserted into the table in real
> time.
>
> One idea is to run a select query on the table (select * from table)
> once, keep the resultset open throughout the lifetime of the
> application, and then do SQLFetch() to get each new row that has been
> inserted into the table.
>
> My question is weather it is possible to keep the resultset open and
> see changes from other users in that result set. Can this be done
> using a cursor?
>
> Thanks

It has been a four or five years since I programmed any ADO, but IIRC, you can open a cursor that allows you to see changes made by other users. I can't remember the mode of it off-hand, but a search in the ADO documentation should turn it up.

Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:45:44 CDT