Re: Removing all datafiles doesn't bring down the database

From: Karsten Schmidt <groups_at_karsten-schmidt.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 08:24:00 -0700

Well this is just guesswork,
 but I'd bet that you cannot bounce the database once the files are gone.

 What you see is probably more of a unix feature than anything else.  When you rm something, the actual disk space is not released until all running processes close the filehandle on the 'deleted' file.

 Since your instance was running, it could simply use the filehandle that was opened _before_ the file got removed.

 you should also observe that the disk space usage (df -k ....) does not change until you terminate the instance....

Karsten