TNS-12560:Protocol adapter error from client side only...

From: NotNeo <chas_newport_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:21:02 GMT

I am getting a strange symptom: tnsping and sqlplus work fine on my LINUX server (neo) so the listener and DB are OK. However, from my remote XP Client (tank) I get TNS-12560. I can ping the neo from tanks and tank from neo so it isn't a network problem. The trace file shows that in can't start the transport layer due to an error 530:

  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 0
    ns main err code: 12560
    TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error     ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 530
    TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error
    nt secondary err code: 54
    nt OS err code: 0

Looking in the listener.log file on the server I can see entries for the two successful actions on neo. However, the remote attempts from tank don't even seem to hit the listener port on 1521. TNSNAMES.ORA entries are consistent on both sides LISTENER.ORA seems correct and I only have a single Oracle home.

I have changed the Client side hosts file to include named mappings for both the involved machines with the correct IPs.

I have even used the adapters command to check the linked protocols and they are present in the listener and oracle executables - both have TCP/IP linked.

Getting desperate here now... has anyone seen and solved this problem? Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 09:21:02 CDT