Re: Orbitz blames Oracle for site outage

From: Steve Howard <stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 05:51:39 -0700

Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<vhcivjs13hri26_at_news.supernews.com>...
> Sir, the post was on topic. Freedom of speech is a central tenet of the
> internet. Perhaps you should apply for a job with A.G. John Ashcroft.
>
> The story underscores false advertisement of sorts. To say a product is
> 'unbreakable', as complex as it is, is in my opinion, irresponsible.
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:50:47 -0400, Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Attached is the site message saying it is down due to the Oracle problem
> >>mentioned in CNet. Anyone have detailed info on this?
> >

> > Go play somewhere else. We don't need your flames.
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Keith,

You are spending _way_ too much time on this stuff. You post the same thing twice in five minutes (unless your news server is duplicating posts), and then respond to your own post again five minutes later. That implies to me someone who is emotional about this stuff and is thinking about it way too much. Do I live and die by Oracle? Of course not, I have a wife and four kids who are much more important to me. But I (and most others, I assume) come to this group for insight into how Oracle works. We are already working on it, or we wouldn't come to the server newsgroup, which is in practice dedicated to discussing technical approaches.

Did Orbitz have a crummy DBA? Maybe they have crummy queries or application design? Maybe Oracle ORA-600'd (sic) him and he ignored the recommendation to apply a patchset one too many times? Maybe he is running a version about to be desupported? Who knows, maybe it was something in Oracle.

I just don't think that you are posting this on an Oracle newsgroup as a discussion topic per se, but as a troll. If you were, you would post all of the news listings about Company A switching to Oracle, or benchmark studies that say Oracle is faster, etc. I'm not sure of your intentions, but everything you have posted up until this point does not appear to have served anyone in the group. Maybe you are hoping that others reading this will not speak up but just convince their management to got to PostGre. That is how it appears anyway. You know what they say, if one person writes it, 20 more feel the same way and just don't speak up. I don't care which RDBMS you use, but I just think you are trolling in this case.

Best Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 07:51:39 CDT