Re: Global naming for workstation, but not the server?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:20:43 GMT

"Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f15ae1a$1_at_rutgers.edu...
> Hello,
>
> We have a Windows 2000 server running Oracle 8i. The application
> (IIS/ASP/JScript/COM w/Visual C++ 6) talks mainly to our database, but will
> talk to another Oracle 8i database in a different department for a few
> operations. For this post, I'll call the TNS name "otherdbprod", and it's
> service name "otherdb". Occasionally, we run a report to query that other
> system to ensure that no transactions were lost due to any miscellaneous
> errors.
>
> The other department performed an "upgrade" (which I could not find out the
> details of) to their 8i database, and today, we were not able to log on to
> the system from our workstations (Win2k professional, Oracle 8i client,
> SQL*Plus 3.3). After an email, their DBA told me to add the ".world" suffix
> to their database's service name, in our tnsnames.ora file, to make it
> "otherdb.world". The fix worked, our workstations can connect again. I
> assume they set global_names to true on their server.
>
> Now here's where I get confused: On -our- server, global_names is set to
> false. On our server, through SQL*Plus, I can still connect to the
> "otherdb" service name. I don't need to change it to "otherdb.world".
>
> Why is that? I don't understand why the server can use "otherdb" but our
> workstations need to use "otherdb.world". We're not doing a remote database
> link, either. Here'd be an example of our tnsnames.ora files from both the
> workstations and the servers. Names are changed to protect the innocent!
> :)
>
> workstation:
> -----------------
> OTHERDBPROD.AD.MYDEPT.MYCORP.NET =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.0.9)(PORT = 1521))
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.0.9)(PORT = 1526))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = otherdb.world)
> )
> )
>
> our database server:
> ----------------------
> OTHERDBPROD.AD.MYDEPT.MYCORP.NET =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.0.9)(PORT = 1521))
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.0.9)(PORT = 1526))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = otherdb)
> )
> )
>
> It just doesn't make sense to me. Plus, both SQL*Plus versions are
> identical, and both the server and the workstations use Net8. Am I missing
> a setting somewhere? Can you tell a server not to use global naming, but a
> workstation always uses global naming regardless? I don't want to have to
> set global naming = true for our server if we don't have to; it's our
> [...]

Does not make sense to me either. global_names=true is related to db_links. If set to true in your database, your db_link should be same name as tnsalias/service_name.

However that pertains to db_links. It should not have anything to do with the sqlplus connection. Did they change their databases service_names (and/or global_name) and what did they set the global_dbname entry to in listener.ora?

Anurag Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 19:20:43 CDT