Re: What "Oracle sessions" mean?

From: Thomas T <T_at_T>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:41:38 -0400

"Stephanie" <sbarre_at_email.com> wrote in message news:41eb9d22.0307160635.3d4a892d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I'm developping with Weblogic 6.1 using Oracle 8.1.6.
> My application has serious scalability problems.
> A consultant from BEA told me to check in Oracle the number of Oracle
> sessions allowed, which should be greater than the number of connexion
> pools declared in Weblogic.
> Where can I find this parameter? Is that "processes" in init.ora?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stéphanie

How severe is the scalability? Are we talking 5 users versus 20 users? Or 100 users versus 10,000 users?

Session limits usually aren't imposed unless the dba sets a limit in the init.orcl file... make sure you have an adequate processes setting in the init.ora file. Again, a small processes number is used to limit the number of users or to keep the database running on a server with limited resources. If you're running on a large box and don't care about how many users are logging in, crank up the processes number. Same with dml_locks. In fact, pick up a book on Oracle Tuning (such as the one from Oracle Press), it will cover all these matters.

Try also viewing the actual sessions from sql plus while your application is running; it might help you with debugging (ex: 20 users on but 100 sessions active, or, 100 users on but only 20 sessions active.) Log in with the sys account as sysdba, and run the following query:

select sid, serial#, type, username, status, server, machine, terminal, program from v$session;

-T Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 15:41:38 CDT