Re: What "Oracle sessions" mean?

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:31:14 +0200

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3F15ABCE.4C7E61DD_at_exxesolutions.com...
| Anton Buijs wrote:
|
| > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
| > 3F157501.BB7D8C09_at_exxesolutions.com...
| > | Stephanie wrote:
| > |
> [...]
Oracle

| > |
| > | There is no such thing as a sessions limit unless your DBA imposed
one.
| > | Ask your DBA. The BEA consultant probably needs to be escorted to the
door
| > | due to a lack of understanding of the topic on which they are
attempting
| > | to consult.
| > |
| > | Also ask your DBA why you are working with unsupported buggy obsolete
| > | software and why they haven't upgraded to, at least, 8.1.7.4.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Daniel Morgan
| > | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
| > | damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
| > | (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
| > |

| > Sorry Daniel, but I must disagree, unless I understand you wrong.
| > The init.ora parameter sessions limits the sessions. The default value
is
| > 1.1 * processes + 5 (V8.1.7).
| > Normally this is sufficient when each connection creates one process and
one
| > session.
| > Oracle Forms however creates one process and one session when you logon.
For
| > each new form (window) you start from the menu a new session is created
but
| > within the same process. Have seen 3-4 sessions for one process for a
| > certain application. Users had 2 or 3 screen open most of the time. The
| > default value for sessions is not sufficient then.
| > I'am not familiar enough with that connection pooling thing but when it
| > creates more sessions in one process, setting init.ora sessions could be
| > required then. Changing processes requires a change of sessions too
then,
| > what can easily be forgotten.
|
| Sessions and processes are entirely different things. Based on the OP the
| assumption is that
| there is some limit on sessions: "A consultant from BEA told me to check
in
| Oracle the number of Oracle
| sessions allowed" which is pure nonsense unless someone went in an
intentionally
| limited them: Meaning
| the DBA.
|
| Heck even Personal Oracle doesn't limit you to only one session.
| --
| Daniel Morgan
| http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
| damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
| (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Now I understand. You read the question "a BEA consultant told me to check number of sessions allowed" different then I do. Your interpretation: the max number of sessions per process. There will be a limit (as usual, I don't know it) but I can't imagine anyone will ever hit it.
My interpretation: the value of init.ora parameter sessions. Which should be left to it's default normally unless the application is using the feature to create several sessions within one process. Then the sessions init.ora parameter can become a limition.
He should get errors then like "max number of sessions reached" or so. Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 15:31:14 CDT