Re: What "Oracle sessions" mean?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:47:26 -0700

Anton Buijs wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 3F157501.BB7D8C09_at_exxesolutions.com...
> | Stephanie wrote:
> |
> | > Hi,
> | > I'm developping with Weblogic 6.1 using Oracle 8.1.6.
> | > My application has serious scalability problems.
> | > A consultant from BEA told me to check in Oracle the number of Oracle
> | > sessions allowed, which should be greater than the number of connexion
> | > pools declared in Weblogic.
> | > Where can I find this parameter? Is that "processes" in init.ora?
> | > Thanks in advance,
> | >
> | > Stéphanie
> |
> | There is no such thing as a sessions limit unless your DBA imposed one.
> | Ask your DBA. The BEA consultant probably needs to be escorted to the door
> | due to a lack of understanding of the topic on which they are attempting
> | to consult.
> |
> | Also ask your DBA why you are working with unsupported buggy obsolete
> | software and why they haven't upgraded to, at least, 8.1.7.4.
> |
> | --
> | Daniel Morgan
> | http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
> | damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> | (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
> |

> Sorry Daniel, but I must disagree, unless I understand you wrong.
> The init.ora parameter sessions limits the sessions. The default value is
> 1.1 * processes + 5 (V8.1.7).
> Normally this is sufficient when each connection creates one process and one
> session.
> Oracle Forms however creates one process and one session when you logon. For
> each new form (window) you start from the menu a new session is created but
> within the same process. Have seen 3-4 sessions for one process for a
> certain application. Users had 2 or 3 screen open most of the time. The
> default value for sessions is not sufficient then.
> I'am not familiar enough with that connection pooling thing but when it
> creates more sessions in one process, setting init.ora sessions could be
> required then. Changing processes requires a change of sessions too then,
> what can easily be forgotten.

Sessions and processes are entirely different things. Based on the OP the assumption is that
there is some limit on sessions: "A consultant from BEA told me to check in Oracle the number of Oracle
sessions allowed" which is pure nonsense unless someone went in an intentionally limited them: Meaning
the DBA.

Heck even Personal Oracle doesn't limit you to only one session.

--
Daniel Morgan