Re: Kill oracle session on Win2000

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:55:39 +0200

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3F15767D.AFA1D4F9_at_exxesolutions.com...
| Anton Buijs wrote:
| >
| > Repeating the alter system kill session will sometimes help to let the
| > killed session disappear.
| > Oracle is working on the cleanup of the mess while status is killed but
| > have the impression it needs to be reminded again to do so by issueing
the
| > kill session command again.
| > Don't know why, it is strange.
|
| More likely the person executing the kill needs to learn the correct
syntax.

| If you want something killed immeidately the syntax is:
|
| ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '<sid#>,<serial#> IMMEDIATE;
|
| Most people leave off the final instruction. I posted the OTN
documentation
| with the difference to another thread earlier this morning.
|
| --
| Daniel Morgan
| http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
| damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
| (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

I read it and I had never heard of it (can't know everything, can't you). Thought it was 9.x only but I found it in 8.1.7 manual too. But as I read it: the session is killed the same way, with or without immediate. The difference is that the IMMEDIATE clause returns control to you directly. Without it you wait one minute to give the session to chance to finish activity it is waiting on, do the rollback and so. After one minute it no longer waits, marks the session killed and leave it up to PMON to take care of the rest.
In the problem of the OP the usage of IMMEDIATE would not have changed the behavior described. This is how I read the manual... Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 11:55:39 CDT