Re: What "Oracle sessions" mean?

From: Eric Robertson <erobert2_at_gmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:29:58 -0400

Stephanie wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm developping with Weblogic 6.1 using Oracle 8.1.6.
> My application has serious scalability problems.
> A consultant from BEA told me to check in Oracle the number of Oracle
> sessions allowed, which should be greater than the number of connexion
> pools declared in Weblogic.
> Where can I find this parameter? Is that "processes" in init.ora?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stéphanie

It depends on whether you are running a shared server or not. In a shared server, processes are shared across sessions (uses a dispatcher model).

If your are using dedicated server, then the number of sessions and process are generally close in value. There is a parameter called sessions which is greater than or equal to the number of processes. In your configuration, you will have a session per connection. You need to have a process that can support the connection. So if you are not running a shared server, then bump those processes up. BTW. I think you mean the total number of connections allocated across all your connection pools at any given time.

Make sure you have head room (more processes and sessions than connections in the pools) so your DBAs can connect into Oracle to do the real work.

Other things to consider:
* are you closing your connections (returning them to the pool)? * If you are doing bean BMP or any of your SQL, can you consolidate work to minmize the number of connections opened and closed per request? Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 11:29:58 CDT