Re: What application code could cause an ORA-03113 error?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:47:21 -0700

Tom McSally wrote:

> I have a client who has been getting ORA-03113 errors on most of their
> sites for several months. They have 11 sites using our product, 10 of
> them using our 5.2 version and 1 using our 5.1 version. All of the
> sites using our 5.2 version have been getting ORA-03113 errors, the
> one site using our 5.1 version has NOT been getting the error.
>
> Recently, the site using 5.1 has upgraded to 5.2 and now they too are
> getting the ORA-03113 errors.
>
> This is a pretty clear indication to me that there is something in our
> 5.2 product that is causing these errors but our developers insist it
> is a generic Oracle problem and not a bug in their code.
>
> I need some suggestions as to what our 5.2 product could be doing that
> would cause the ORA-03113 errors. The errors are occurring in our Task
> Server functionality. The Task Server is an application that connects
> to Oracle then sits idle for 1 minute. It then does a query against an
> Oracle table to see if it has a task to perform. This query will
> typically return 0 or 1 row. It continues this 1 minute polling all
> day. Eventually it gets an ORA-03113 error.
>
> I've researched the generic ORA-03113 responses but am more interested
> in what an application could be doing that would cause an ORA-03113
> error after being connected to Oracle for hours.

You have provided insufficient information to give you a specific answer. But I'll make an assumption and wing it.

Your clients are running on Linux, Solaris, or HP/UX and have not set kernel parameters as
suggested by Oracle to handle the requirements in terms of processes. The new version has
changed the overhead and the kernel parameters must be reconfigured to match.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu