Re: Sure-fire "kill"

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:25:32 +0300

Hi!

> Tanel,
>
> I thought that this parameter failed to work on win32 due to only 16
> timers being alloted to a process - and the oracle.exe process could
> certainly support hundreds of threads. Did you ever actually have a
> dedicated server process (thread under oracle.exe) killed via
> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME?
I believe that first 16 threads can allocate timer for themselves, for them DCD works, but the subsequent threads can't be killed using DCD.

> If so, this was news to me. I recall reading notes on Metalink
> regarding this subject indicating that it was not supported on win32.

Yep, I've read about this as well, but these notes say there are problems with DCD on WinNT/2000. I might have hit this problem just by coincidence (that my thread analyzing data was one of the first 16 ones or smth like that).

Unfortunately I don't remember whether I was using MTS or not, it was over 3 years ago. With MTS I understand that dispatchers send out probes to clients, so only they require timers - 16 is usually more than enough, especially when we talk about Windows servers, which tend to be low-to-mid end servers...

Cheers,
Tanel. Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 10:25:32 CDT