Re: anyway to commit/rollback for another session?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 06:22:55 -0700

andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net (NetComrade) wrote in message news:<3f147231.700423726_at_nyc.news.speakeasy.net>...
> On 14 Jul 2003 19:27:46 -0700, Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell)
> wrote:
>

> >Netcomrade, I do not believe there is any way to commit or rollback
> >for another user's session.
> >
> >Are you sure that the distributed applications 1- all got changed, 2-
> >that the changes got moved into production, and 3- in the case of
> >desktop software all users received the new version?
>

> Mark,
> I've read and re-read your questions, and I think you misunderstood my
> problem.
> All distributed SELECTS require a TX lock which can only be taken off
> by a commit. All DML is committed already, I just want to commit for
> idle sessions that could potentially be preventing a rollback segment
> from recycling.
> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> remove NSPAM to email

Net, I am sorry my original reply was not clear. You said in your original post that the code was changed. I was basically asking if you verified that the changed code was moved into production and distributed to the user so that it, rather than the original problem code is what is running. Assuming the changed code was placed into use then have you verified the lock holding sessions are not abandoned (runaway) sessions that should be killed anyway? Have you also verified the source of these statements are not additional programs/pieces of code that also require modification?

There is no way to commit or rollback session X from another session.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jul 16 2003 - 08:22:55 CDT