Re: import database question

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:35:28 -0500

In your case of export at the "user/owner" level...

You need the DBA role to export/import from 1 account to another account (no matter if going to the original database or a 2nd database).

But, you do not need DBA to export and import from/to the same account, even if on different databases.

However, if an account has the DBA role and does a user level export of its own tables, you will need DBA in the "to" database even if importing into the same account name. This still seems odd to me, but it did happen in 8i.

In either case, you need to pre-create the "to" account (and of course the 2nd database must already exist).

Also, I like creating a "parameter" file with all the options (I always use the log file option because there are often errors that fly across the screen and if not logging you miss these errors).

I always use the same version of export and import if possible, but going from an older to a newer should not be a problem.

Couple of useful commands:

exp help=y
imp help=y
imp parfile=myoptions.par