Re: How to insert data using index unusable/rebuild

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:05:12 GMT

> Did you ever reach the bottom of my previous post? What's wrong with
> the embedded comment/conclusions? There are important practical
> purposes for setting various combination of "disable/enable" and
> "validate/novalidate" on a constraint - notably in a data warehouse
> environment. Why do you think ORACLE allows you all these options?

I certainly agree that there is a reason why these options exist. And there are situations in which the use of NOVALIDATE is warranted.

What I disagree with is the false statement about PKs (can have duplicate values), and the "reason" given for this statement was to bypass the very mechanism which ensure that duplicate values do not exist. When you NOVALIDATE for a PK constraint, the existing rows cannot truly be considered valid for that constraint. In the same logic, one could declare a CHECK constraint to ensure that the column can only have two values, YES and NO. But the existing rows have many more values already. So one enables the constraint with NOVALIDATE. The only allowable future values are YES and NO. Can I then make the claim that the CHECK constraint allows more than YES and NO answers????? I don't think so.

Cheers!
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com