Re: Index organized partitioned table can't be rebuilt

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 00:18:23 -0700

andkovacs_at_yahoo.com (Andras Kovacs) wrote in message news:<412ebb69.0307140832.5e773744_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> We have an index organized partitioned table on Oracle 9.2.0.1
> Recently we had a lot of inserts into one of the partitions and the
> index is unbalanced.
> I want to rebuild (online) the partion or the entire table.
>
> However I was unable to find the command (syntax).
> I have tried the following (and a lot of other things).
>

> SQL> alter table sales_history move online;
> alter table sales_history move online
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-28660: Partitioned Index-Organized table may not be MOVEd as a
> whole
>
> This error is normal.
> Is it possible to rebuild this IOPT online in Oracle 9 ?
> What would be the syntax ?
>
> Should an export/table solve the issue ? (The table is 100GB ....)
>
> Thanks for your help.

The "online" clause only works with nonpartitioned IOT. If you really need the online option, perhaps you can try online redefinition?
The only restriction I am aware of regarding IOT is that overflow table of an IOT table can not be reorganized online. DBMS_REDEFINITION.CAN_REDEF_TABLE reports no problem with partitioned IOT. But your space requirement will double during the reorg. Reorg a 100GB table is daunting in any case...