Re: Any reasons why not to upgrade to 9i

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 16:53:50 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:<3F1067FC.BF071C78_at_telusplanet.net>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Tony wrote:
> >
> > > If you can't find a reason to upgrade, you probably don't need to upgrade.
> > > There is nothing wrong with skipping a release.
> > >

> > Strongly disagree. Skipping 9i puts you way behind the curve for 10i. 9i is an
> > important step forward. It contains more than just a few new features. It is a
> > chance to begin working with iSQL*Plus. It is no secret that is what you will be
> > working with in the future. It is a first chance to begin migrating to a word of
> > targets. It is a first chance to work with UNDO as it is no secret rollback is
> > dead. And it is a first chance to work with tablespaces with different block
> > sizes and the related caches.
> >
> > Skip 9i and you will pay the price. You will likely be stuck with 8i for a long
> > time. And a resume that indicates no experience with current version making you
> > virtually unemployable. Think about it. What chance would you have finding a job
> > today with a resume that indicated your most recent experience was 8.0.6?
> >

> Tony,
>
> I somewhat agree - there is nothing wrong with skipping a release. Just remember
> that 9.0 is also a release and therefore skipping a release from 8iR3 means going to
> 9iR2.
>
> As far as skipping 9i in it's entirely, I totally concur with Daniel. That's a bad
> move.
>
> (Daniel - from the number of posts recently about problems with 8.0.4, 8.0.5 and
> 8.0.6, having that experience on the resume seems valuable. And management that
> demands that skill set isn't likely to be impressed with the candidate being
> current. <g> )

Yeah, I made the mistake about being all enthused about 9iR2 in an interview last year after seeing a bunch of stuff at IOUG. I should have realized that a VMS shop would consider that a negative. The guy must have thought I was on drugs when I told him about flashback. One of the reasons I was interested in the job was it was maintenance of obscure stuff that I happen to know until hq in another country implemented SAP, and it seemed a good way to sidle into that, let someone else have all the headaches and then do an upgrade to a working system. Now I hear they are looking for someone again since the SAP implementation has, um, issues. Opportunity or cesspool? Guess I'll never know... :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/business/news_mz1b14comics.html