Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

From: Oliver Sturm <oliver_at_sturmnet.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:35:41 +0200

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:23:54 -0700, Daniel Morgan wrote:

>> Here are the important kernel parameters:
>>
>> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
>> 1250 32000 100 128
>> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
>> 2097152
>> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>> 384000000
>> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
>> 4096

> Just took a look at Oracle 9i Installation Guide for 9.2.0.1.0 Part No.
> A96167-01
>
> I can't find any relationship between the kernel parameters you list and
> those in the Oracle documentation.

I don't understand that, they are all listed there, complete with explanation. That was my main source, when trying around with them.

> What is the source of the numbers you have used?

I just had another look and the guide you mention actually shows "250 32000 32 128" for the sem setting. My values (which I got from the Suse Linux Oracle tuning script) are a little larger, which shouldn't hurt according to the description. Apart from that, I started off with the smaller values from the guide before trying other things.

> And did you reboot after setting them?

I did actually reboot sometime in between, IIRC. But why should I, really? That would just cause the Linux kernel to loose the settings, so I'd need to set them again (the guide tells me to create a script to set them on every system startup).

               Oliver Sturm

--
omnibus ex nihilo ducendis sufficit unum
Jabber sturm_at_amessage.de ICQ 27142619 MSN macnapple_at_hotmail.com Y! macnapple