ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

From: Oliver Sturm <oliver_at_sturmnet.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:59:32 +0200

Hello,

I've installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on my Debian system, which went fine after solving some problems with libraries. The only thing that didn't work from the start was the dbca run, so I had no database created for a start (the install told me it wasn't a great problem if not all of the tools ran smoothly).

Now I want to create a database. To be able to start dbca, I had to touch a file /etc/rac_on for some reason I'm not aware of (found that on the groups somewhere). I can bring up the wizard gui and I try to create a database from the general purpose template.

Then, after the wizard went through the first steps of copying the files, it halts for a while, saying it tries to create an instance. Suddenly, a message box pops up saying "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel".

When looking at the logs I get in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log, I see that the error ORA-27101 is mentioned. I checked all kinds of postings and double- (quadruple?)-checked my configuration.

Here are the important kernel parameters:

oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
1250 32000 100 128
oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall 2097152
oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax 384000000
oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni 4096

I have fiddled around a lot with all of these, so I don't really think there's a problem there. I also tried to manually get rid of shared memory segments and stuff using ipcrm (found that in some post, again).

Now, does anyone have a hint what this may be about? Can I provide additional information? As I'm new to Oracle, I'm sure I don't know about all the proper places where to look, so do you have information on additional log files to consult? Thanks for any hints!

               Oliver Sturm

--
omnibus ex nihilo ducendis sufficit unum
Jabber sturm_at_amessage.de ICQ 27142619 MSN macnapple_at_hotmail.com Y! macnapple