Re: RAC Training

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2003 10:30:20 -0700

Quarkman <quarkman_at_myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<oprr9niexor9lm4d_at_haydn>...
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:31:28 +0000, Bryant <member31797_at_dbforums.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Nouto,
> >
> > What, you say someone ghost-writes for Mike Ault?
> > Why would he risk his reputation and lend his name to the work of
> > inferior talent?
> >

> > Quarkman,
> >
> > How can you have read the book when it hasn't been printed yet?
> > Sounds like you are somewhat confused.
>
> I might reply by asking how can someone therefore recommend a book which
> hasn't been printed yet? But I'll avoid the cheap-shot.
>
> I read Mike Ault's earlier effort, 9i Administration.and Management. That
> has a section on RAC, and it was to that I was referring.
>
> It was riddled with errors.
>
> His new one may be much better, I suppose.
>
> I'm not filled with confidence, however. His 9i Administration and
> Management book curently has 5 reviews up on Amazon. One of them is from
> himself, one is from his buddy, Donald Burleson. Two are from anonymous
> people who just happen both to reside in White Plains, NY, and both seem to
> 'echo' Donald Burleson's comments remarkably closely. Just 1 seems to be
> from a genuine reader, in Canada. Oddly enough, that's the only review that
> doesn't give the book 5 stars (in fact it gives it 2, and a bit of a
> slating).
>
> I repeat: I don't know Mr Ault, and I'm sure he's a nice person. It's the
> quality of his writing efforts that's under discussion here.
>
> ~QM

Hi.

I can personally vouch for the fact that Mr. Ault (himself) worked a great deal on 9i RAC. I read a copy of a paper of his back in the first week of Feb of this year, which I believe that he presented at at least one oracle user group. If you contact him and ask, he might even provide you with a copy. Is it conceivable that the 9i D & M text of his was based on 9i Release 1, and that the current paper and book would be based on Release 2? If so, he's not the only author to be caught in such a situation. Other authors were mislead by pre-release docs from Oracle, only to have features and functionality changed in the production release - after their book went to press (this is second-hand from a well known author).
(oracle documentation is *never* wrong, either).

He presented at North Carolina Oracle Users Group back in March on 9i RAC - http://www.ncoug.com/upcoming_events2.htm Often, presentation and papers are available via Oracle users group sites.
This paper may also be available via TUSC's website. If it was presented at IOUG-A (I didn't go this year, so I don't know) then it also may be available via the IOUG-A website.

Paul Drake Received on Mon Jul 14 2003 - 12:30:20 CDT