Re: Any reasons why not to upgrade to 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:21:15 -0700

Tony wrote:

> <snipped>
>
> I think your focus is somewhat different from ours. New features are great
> but we make decisions based on whether those new features will add value to
> our business. I am sorry to say none of the 9i new features are useful to
> us. We are not even using Java or any of the features you mentioned. So why
> all the trouble.

The point is not features though there are more than a few of those.

The point is the major changes in architecture Oracle is introducing. You can certainly still write 7.3.4 code in 8i but you won't be doing it in 10i no matter how hard you try. Some of it just won't work. And if you aren't ready ... you are obsolete.

There will be no shortage in three years of developers and DBAs with 9i and 10i experience. You can either be one of them or be marginalized: The choice is yours. The history of this industry is not one that shows much tolerance of those that don't keep current.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu